Making sure your mouth is well cared for includes always assessing any risks that may be present as well as minimizing damage that begins to occur. An often-overlooked oral health condition that can easily arise is known as bruxism. Bruxism refers to an individual grinding or clenching their teeth. Often times, it occurs while an individual is asleep, but it can also occur on a subconscious level when awake. If you begin to notice signs of dental damage and have no idea what’s causing it, begin to start looking for the signs and symptoms of its presence.
Typically, bruxism comes with the following symptoms:
- Worn or flat teeth
- Chips or cracks that have no reasonable explanations of how they occurred
- Strange markings on your tongue
- Damage to the inner linings of your mouth and cheek tissue
- The frequent presence of jaw discomfort when you wake up in the morning
- A heightened sense of tooth sensitivity
- Dull headaches or earaches
If you notice any of the common signs and symptoms of bruxism, you should visit our doctor so that the appropriate treatments can be made. Oftentimes, the use of a night guard or bite plate can help alleviate stress and pressure associated with bruxism.
If you would like to set up a bruxism assessment at Transcend Dental or would like a comprehensive oral exam from our team at our dental office, please call us at 484.369.8625. Dr. Jared Ayes and our team are here to be the doctor you require in Royersford, Pennsylvania.