Are you terrified of the dentist? Do you extremely dislike going to your dental appointments? If so, we are happy to help you feel better about your visits! Many people are afraid of the dental office and dentist, so you are not the only one. In order to make your dental visits more comfortable and successful, we recommend talking to our dental team before your visit and doing the following things:
• Bring a friend or family member you can trust to your appointment with you. It is also beneficial if they are not afraid of the dental office. This way, you will have someone who loves, supports, and comforts you during your treatment.
• Practice relaxation techniques. If you control your breathing, your heart rate will slow and you will feel more relaxed in the hands of the dentist. Simply take a deep breath, hold it for a couple seconds, and slowly let it out.
• Bring something that will take your mind off the treatment. It can be new music, a movie, or a book. If you listen to music, watch a movie, or listen to a story your family member or friend reads to you, you will not think about the dentist or your oral cavity.
• Talk to your dentist about a “stop” signal. This signal can be something like raising your hand, blinking your eyes three times, or making a unique sound. If you establish a signal, you will have control over your treatment and your dentist will know when to stop and give you a break.
• Talk to your dentist about sedation dentistry. There are many sedatives that can help you relax in the dental chair, including oral sedation, nitrous oxide sedation, and IV sedation. If you talk to your dentist about using a dental sedative, your dentist will find the best sedative for your specific situation. However, only qualified dentists will provide IV sedation to their patients.
Call our office today if you would like to learn more about ways to relax at the dental office. We look forward to talking with you!